PUPPY CARE SHEET
You will receive a signed, written copy of everything on the following pages. Most of the commonly asked questions at pick-up are covered on this first page
Congratulations on your new puppy!!!! Here is a bit of information that you should find helpful. However if you have ANY questions or concerns PLEASE call me right away 270-832-2457
Enclosed in your folder should be all of your puppy’s health documentation, puppy contract/health warranty, and other useful info. Please look for it and read it. My bottom page copy needs to be signed & returned to us at 3030 Grindstone Road, Clarkson, KY 42726
Your puppy is current on shots and worming. They have received their first set of shots and are not fully immunized. Please use caution taking them out in public, or setting them on the ground places many dogs frequent (vet, parks, pet stores). The shots come a 2 to 3 week intervals, for a total of 4. You can see the date of the last shot in the vaccination section of the health record.
It is important that you register the microchip at www.avidid.com Also, google “microchip registration and look for “Found Animals Registry” and “Free Pet Microchip Registry” for a couple of free national registries.
They are currently eating Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice dry puppy . If you plan to switch to a different food please do so slowly. First ¾ Purina for a few days, then ½ Purina, and then ¼ Purina and then switch. Switching too quickly can cause upset tummies. Don’t be afraid to use a little Pro Plan canned food if they are being picky. Whole fat yogurt is good to maintain intestinal health.
I can not tell you exactly how much your puppy is eating, because s/he has been eating from the same bowl as the rest of the littermates, and they all require different amounts . What I would suggest is giving him/her as much food as she wants for 20-30 minutes 2-3 times per day. They will probably be done long before that, but still offer it to them so they can go back for a few minutes if they need a little more. Some puppies will do just fine with 2 feedings at 8 weeks. Others will need that third feeding.
Your puppy has begun the LONG process of potty training, using the ‘crate training’ method. Unless you are familiar with another way to potty train that you prefer, you may want to continue this method. Though due to each individual’s situation, it may not work for everyone.
Please keep in mind for working families, puppies are supposed to only be left in the crate 1 month plus their age in months at a time, before they need to be let out. For example if your puppy is 2 months old, it can be left in the crate 2 (months) plus 1 hour=3 hours. You should not increase that until the puppy is 3 months old— and so on.
This may mean that you will have to enlist the help of friends and neighbors or even pay a dog walker for the first few months, but CONSISTENCY is key to quick house training. A few lapses can mean major setbacks.
As with anything please feel free to contact me if you have questions or difficulties.
Jeanine and Brad Ross
Following is the exact wording for our health warranty, of which you will also receive a signed, written copy.
The wording is quite standard among reputable breeders, ours just lasts longer.
ShihTzu Puppy Contract
1) This puppy as defined here to be a Shih Tzu Puppy, which embodies the characteristics of a Shih Tzu. This puppy is a purebred. Due to the puppy age, we CAN NOT guarantee show or breeder quality. We cannot guarantee color, size at maturity or sterility. All puppies are sold as pet quality, breeding prospect or show prospects. Boys can be neutered at any time, girls should be spayed between 6 months no later than 12 months of age.
2) At least the FIRST set of shots will have been administered between weeks 7-8, and the puppy has also been given a preventative wormer by the Seller. All other vaccinations and medical treatment become the Buyer’s responsibility after the puppy is picked up by the purchaser or delivered safely to airport personnel. It should be noted that the Puppy has not completed the FULL SERIES of VACCINATIONS, and is NOT fully protected against disease. It is recommended that the Puppy be quarantined from other pets, until all vaccinations have been administered.
3) 72 HOUR GENERAL HEALTH WARRANTY: The Buyer agrees to have this puppy examined within (72) hours of delivery. If the puppy arrives ill (after shipping) the buyer shall immediately have the puppy examined by their veterinarian. ANY x-rays, blood work, diagnostics, or any other vet work is to be done at the buyers expense.
If the Puppy is found by the buyer’s veterinarian to have a life threatening genetic condition, then the Buyer shall elect to keep the Puppy or return the Puppy to the Seller.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CONCERNING EATING/POTTY OR THE GENERAL HEALTH OF THE PUPPY PLEASE CONTACT US!!!! WE ARE WILLING TO HELP 270-832-2457.
If the Buyer elects to return the Puppy, Buyer shall contact the seller by phone AND, within (3) business days of receiving the puppy, send to the Seller by certified mail a written Veterinarian’s certificate stating that the Puppy had a life threatening genetic condition when examined. Upon receipt of the certificate the Buyer shall be obligated to return the puppy to the Seller at the Buyers expense, upon receipt of the puppy, the seller shall be obligated to refund all monies received from the Buyer toward the purchase price of the Puppy, and further performance under this contract shall be null and void.
This contract does not cover at any time cover things that may be of an environmental nature, such as but not limited to: allergies, umbilical hernias, or parasites such as, but not limited to fleas, ticks, worms, mites, mange, coccidia or giardia. Also the Seller does not assume any liability for death during elective procedures such as but not limited to spay, neuter, teeth cleaning or ear flushing. Nor does it cover non-life-threatening illness such as cherry eye or kennel cough/bordatella.
4) THREE YEAR GENETIC GUARANTEE:
In the event that the puppy should die from a disorder of widely accepted genetic causes by 3 year of age, the Buyer shall request an autopsy from a licensed veterinarian at their expense. If the cause is determined to solely be a genetic defect, the Buyer shall provide these results to the Seller, and the Seller shall be obligated provide a replacement puppy of equal quality and value as soon as one becomes available and not to exceed 12 months from the death of the original puppy. This shall not include shipping.
At no time shall a refund of monies be provided unless a replacement puppy is not made available to the Buyer within 12 months after return or death of original puppy. At that time a refund of the purchase price will be offered to the buyer and the rest of this contract will be null and void.
5) This puppy/adult is NEVER under any circumstance to be given or surrendered to a animal control or rescue. The breeder also has a ‘no questions asked’ return policy where the family can return this puppy to the breeder given (7) calendar days notice. If this option is used then this will be done AT NO EXPENSE or cost to the breeder. Buyers will pay any and all actual expenses for return of this puppy/adult to the breeders residence, and all further parts of this contract are null and void.
6) The above said puppy has been permanently identified using an Avid Micro-chip. The buyer will be listed as the primary contact and the breeder will be listed as the secondary contact. If the puppy/dog should be found by a pound, vet or rescue and the buyer is unreachable via phone and certified letter for (5) calendar days other emergency arrangements may need to be made concerning the dog. If expense is occurred it is the responsibility of the buyer to pay for those expense. If the owner cannot be contacted in (30) calendar days by last known address or phone number, the dog shall be considered abandoned and all legal ownership reverts back to the breeder.
7) The Buyer agrees to provide a suitable secure area for this puppy, as well as supplying the Puppy with a heated/cooled enclosure that protects from the elements. Or, agrees to keep this puppy inside the home, providing frequent walks for exercise.
The Breeder also recommends at least one basic training or obedience class to help owner truly enjoy the animal to its fullest extent. The seller also recommends that the puppy be crated or otherwise contained for its own safety when the puppy cannot be supervised.
8) By signing this contract, both parties have read and agree to the terms and conditions of this agreement. The Seller neither makes nor implies any warranties or guarantees, express or implied, other than those written in this agreement including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability and fitness. This document constitutes the entire agreement between the Breeder and Buyer with respect to this sale. The Buyer’s signature below indicates that he/she has read, agrees and does understand all the conditions of the Sales Agreement and Contract of Sale. This agreement is made for our mutual benefit to protect the purchaser, the seller, and most of all THE PUPPY.
There will be no refunds or exchanges after the expiration of this health warranty. The purchaser and breeder also agree to file any legal disputes regarding this legally binding contract in the Breeder’s State and county jurisdiction, Grayson, Kentucky. Any legal expenses incurred by the purchaser are to also be paid at his expense.